Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chinese Five-Spice

Last night I cooked tilapia rubbed with chinese five-spice. This was the first time I had ever used this spice ... and let me tell you what ... WOW!! It was soooo good!!

If you like the taste of black licorice - which I do - you will love it. Just opening the jar of the spice was amazing. The smells of cinnamon and star anise were just wonderful.

I rubed the tilapia - or any fish I suppose - with the five-spice. Then I cooked it in a little bit of olive oil for about 2 minutes on the first side. While this was cooking I mixed together 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce with 1.5 tablespoons of brown sugar. Once I flipped the fish over I poured this sauce over it and let it cook another 2-3 minutes.

I have to admit that I did not come up with this recipe on my own - it was all www.Eatingwell.com.

I cooked up some rice and a side of broccoli to go with it. I didn't think to take a picture or I would post one. But if you are looking for something different for dinner and like trying something new - TRY THIS!!

The five-spice was a little expensive - $5.00 per bottle. But I only used a tiny amount. I might see if I can whip something together to sell in my store so that you all can try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment