Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mexinese

What is mexinese? Well ... this past weekend my husband and I and 3 other couples got together for a progressive dinner.


For all of those unfamiliar with a progressive dinner - it is where you have cocktails and appetizers at one couples house, main meal (hosted by 2 people this time) at anothers house and dessert and games at the last house.


Another lady and me had the main meal together. We decided to do a taco bar so that people could make their dinner how they would want it instead of just making one big entree. It turned out fabulous. Everyone had an amazing time and all of the food - at all of the houses - was very good.


The one thing that happened was that I brought home a lot of mexican leftovers. Now don't get me wrong - I LOVE mexican food. But it has to be a little different each time. So last night I decided I was going to try to make Chinese out of my Mexican leftovers.


I know, I know. My poor husband! But I ended up making Egg Foo Young and Fried Rice. Egg Foo Young is usually made with bean sprouts, green onions and chicken or pork. Since I didn't have green onions and am not a big fan of bean sprouts I just used regular onions instead. Then added the leftover chicken from the taco bar (front picture). It is something like an omelet. It of course has lots of soy sauce in it!
The fried rice is just a fried rice - except made with mexican rice! I scrambled some eggs and sauted some onions. Added soy sauce ... and ... wa-la! Fried Rice!
I thought it was pretty good, especially considering what I started with! My lovely husband is so great because he eats just about anything I put on the table.
What will I come up with next? I still have a lot of veggie leftovers so we will see what I come up with tonight.
Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. lol - I have put some pretty strange things together too trying to use up left overs.
    Veggies are a tough one though.

    ReplyDelete